Liberties Recycling Training and Development is a non-profit social enterprise that funds rehabilitation services and provides FAS sponsored training for people affected by drug use. It is a registered charity employing over sixty-five people in a social enterprise recycling used textiles, mainly clothing and footwear. Liberties Recycling provides practical work experience in a real working environment. It is also a Fetac quality assured and accredited training centre offering up to ten Fetac courses in-house and a range of external courses including forklift operation.
An Innovative Social Enterprise
As a social enterprise Liberties Recycling delivers a triple bottom line, i.e. it delivers social, economic and environmental benefits to its employees and their families, its local communities and its stakeholders.
Some Key Output Indicators
- Liberties Recycling aims to progress people drug free into mainstream opportunities. Over the past 5 years 59 people have moved into employment and another 14 into further education and training
- The project is a registered charity and FAS sponsored Community Employment Scheme employing over 65 people
- Liberties Recycling offers a unique combination of practical work experience, certified training and rehabilitation to those affected by drugs
- In 2010 4 people became drug free and a further 13 were progressing towards being drug free. Overall the retention rate for the project is over 70%
- Each year Liberties Participants gain over 100 certified training awards in subjects as diverse as forklift driving, Fetac Computer Applications and Maths, Sage Payroll and ECDL
- Liberties Recycling provides nearly €500,000 in income to its charity suppliers such as Saint Vincent de Paul and the Irish Cancer Society each year
- The project exports used clothing directly to developing countries and also distributes clothing and blankets to local charities
- Over 2000 tonnes of used clothing are recycled each year
Liberties Recycling is also unique:
- In terms of drug rehabilitation Liberties Recycling is unique in Ireland in that it offers a combination of rehabilitation supports, accredited training and practical work experience within a social enterprise
- Liberties Recycling is the only enterprise in Ireland that collects, sorts and grades clothes locally adding value through the creation of local employment and training opportunities
Liberties Recycling Training & Development is a registered charity, No. CHY 14553.
I was on crack for a year and finally hit rock bottom. I had a son and finally realised I was getting in too deep and had to stop or I’d miss out on his life as well.